Friday, December 25, 2009

WIll Davis/White or Belbin/Agosta Win Olympic GOLD?


Tanith Belbin

And you wonder why I love figure skating? Well, I've been a huge fan of figure skating. Ever since Ukrainian sweetheart, Oksana Baiul, had the skate of her life at the 1994 Winter Olympics in Lillehammer, I've secretly loved figure skating.

Now, let me just say that I'm not a big sports fan. I have my favorite teams: Florida Gators, Michigan Wolves, Buffalo Bills, Denver Broncos and New England Patriots. But my most anticipated sporting event of 2010 will be the ice dance face off. Okay, maybe not the most anticipated event. The NBA finals will be number 1, but the ice dance competition will be a close second. This year, the Americans have two strong teams that have a real chance at winning the gold. The most prominent team is the 2006 Olympic Silver medalists Tanith Belbin and Ben Agosto. The former is probably the most beautiful athlete in the world. The second American team (Meryl Davis and Charlie White) are arguably the strongest of the two teams.


Charlie White and Meryl Davis

The Canadian team of Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are not only one of the best in the world, but in my opinion, the most likely gold medal winners. And it would be foolish to ignore Delobel/Schoenfelder and the many other great teams. But this year, I'll be rooting for Charlie White and Meryl Davis. I think they have matured and evolved as a highly skilled team that is graceful and effortless in their technical prowess and artistic expression.

I wish all of the North American teams good luck, but I'll be wishing harder for the enchanting Meryl Davis.

No comments:

Post a Comment