Wednesday, December 7, 2011

You Are NOT "Apocalypse Man"



By Reginald Kaigler (DEMCAD)

So I came across this docudrama TV special on youtube called "Apocalypse Man". Ex Recon Marine Rudy Reyes takes the audience on a simulated mission through a city during a disaster scenario. It's a simple scenario, one man traveling in a world without water and electricity.

He starts the show off by telling viewers that when a disaster strikes, the first place he's going is to the city. When I heard those words, I burst out in laughter. i guess it depends on the scenario and how many resources he had. He uses a tire iron as a grapple hook to rope himself across a bridge. Rudy swings off the bridge like Tarzan rope and uses his carefully crafted butterfly knot to pull himself up to the other section of the bridge.

Rudy confessed, "I know it looks crazy..." That's because it is crazy. Unless you are in top shape, which most Americans are not, trying to Tarzan your fat ass across a bridge will get you killed or seriously injured. Now, I'm not professing to be an expert in survival. In fact, this guy is in much better shape than I am. However, I know my limitations. In this scenario, I would have been better served staying at home. And if I did decide to leave my house, I would have avoided the cities. And if I were in the cities, I would have looked for a boat, canoe or some floating platform to get to the other side of the river.

I understand that this show was created for entertainment, but I want people to be realistic about their abilities. There's a point where he climbs down a dark elevator shaft. I wouldn't attempt this until the cast from Mad max was after me.

Granted, he has a lot of cool ideas and it's worth watching for fun. I loved his idea about going to the library to get information such as maps and books. But some of his ideas scared me. What disturbed me most about this show is when he enters someone's home with the logic that "it is not longer there home."

He enters a home that appears to have not been broken into. I understand that he was looking for resources, but I'm not willing to risk receiving a large serving of buckshot to my face. You may want to wait until the population drops to "I Am Legend" levels before attempting this.

I'm not saying that his ideas won't work, but they some of them sure as hell won't work for me. I would advise people to apply a filter to this kind of programming, but this is good entertainment. If you have good sense, you'll be able to separate the entertainment from the good ideas. Enjoy!

Part Two


Part Three


Part Four


Part Five

1 comment:

  1. i first saw this show because of a buddy of mine on youtube darque29... it was because of that show and watching darque29's Apocalypse man bag challenge in response to that video why i started to prep. i found it fascinating #1, and #2 i saw how unprepared i was just going to work and getting home. i do understand your point though, not to get carried away on heroics and fantasy. i think most Americans would just see it as entertainment and continue life as normal. where as, the chosen few, weather it be because of nature or nurture will find out the truth about prepping. just for the simple fact its a constant learning experience.

    ReplyDelete